Xiao Blog: A Node.js Blog Engine Designed for Easy Use, Learning the MEAN Stack, and Development
Are you looking for a simple Node.js blog engine that includes Express, Mongoose, and MongoDB in the stack? Maybe you want an MVP MEAN stack precursor app for learning and experimentation? Well, you've come to the right place! Xiao Blog is an open source blogging platform that can be used as-is or experimented with as a gateway to learning the MEAN stack. It rests on top of the Node + Express + Mongoose/MongoDB stack with Swig template views.
Want to see a live demo? This is it! This website is running on top of the Xiao Blog Engine.
Xiao Blog has the features you are looking for in a full-fledged blog-engine:
- A responsive Bootstrap theme that adjusts layout (two-column to stacked single column) and typeface based on device screen size.
- Fast blog post writing with a Markdown editor that does markdown-to-html conversion to save you time.
- Built-in Disqus Comment System integration. Just plug-in your website's Disqus shortname and start building community!
- Social sharing of posts and website following "out-of-the-box" for Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
- Many more features available, details are given in the Features section.
The next sections show some of the Xiao Blog features in action.
Bootstrap Responsive Theme: Going from Desktop Device to a Tablet Screen
Markdown Editor markdown-to-html, Social Sharing, and Admin Tools
Benefits of Xiao Blog Web App Development
There are many benefits to checking out and running the Xiao Blog code. It is a practical Node.js application example ideal for beginners and hobbyists to build upon. You could use Xiao Blog as your personal blog engine on your web host. You could download and run the code locally on your computer, following along with the Feature posts to act as a Node + Express tutorial. Here are some additional benefits:
- Learn by doing: build and extend a working Node.js Express app having a simple starting point.
- Get exposure to a widely accepted web application architecture used in MEAN.js stack apps.
- See how to use Mongodb data modeling with Mongoose.
- Safely hash and store passwords with the Bcrypt JS Module in a Mongoose + MongoDB + Express stack
- Expose tricks like disabling Bootstrap's code.less so that code highlighting modules work correctly in the UI.
- Handle form and HTTP 404/500 errors with Bootstrap, JQuery, and simple Swig templates.
How to build and run Xiao BlogInstallation Prerequisites:
Make sure to start MongoDB and have it running
Clone the github repo
git clone https://github.com/bobbrady/node.js-blog-engine.git
with the directory where you cloned Xiao Blog
- Cd into the repo directory node.js-blog-engine. Install the required Node.js
modules and start the server:
$ npm install $ node server.js
- Point your browser to
http://localhost:3000, click on the "Signup" button to create a local account, and start creating posts with Xiao Blog!
Having problems? Contact me