Why the Disqus Comment System was Chosen
Disqus provided a free and easy-to-use comment system implementation that met Xiao Blog's requirements:
- Threaded comments and replies.
- Notifications and reply by email.
- Social integration: forum login and comment sharing via social networks (Twitter, Facebook, and Google+).
- An easy to use Moderation (Admin) Panel for forum management
- Comments: Approve, Delete, Edit, Mark as spam.
- Discussions: Edit threads, import/export with systems like Wordpress, Blogger, and Tumblr.
- Analytics: Graphics to track over time the number of comments, number of votes, and top comments
- Settings: configure appearance (background color, typeface), sorting (best, newest, oldest), rules like enabling attachments or links in comments.
- Spam filtering, blacklists and whitelists.
Spam control is one of the strengths of Disqus. It provides several ways to block unwanted comments and keep ones from trusted sources. It uses its own custom software to automatically reject spam comments. The anti-spam algorithm is helped when comments are manually marked as spam from the Moderation panel. Administrators can also select to "pre-moderate" comments by manually approving all comments before allowing them to be posted by Disqus.
How Xiao Blog Uses Disqus
The Xiao Blog engine embeds the Disqus widget code on every page except the contact one. This is easier that it sounds, since the widget can be embedded in view templates and subsequent pages created from the template can inherit the widget and its settings. For example, the post view template contains the widget code below the content markup. Every post page will automatically have a Discus thread without requiring manual editing.
How to Enable Disqus on Xiao Blog
Enabling Disqus comments on Xiao Blog is an easy process:
- Sign up for a Disqus account. Here you'll complete basic account reqistration for username, email, and password.
- Create your website profile. This is the second step in account registration. The key part of this step is the selection of a site "shortname" that is used to identify your website to Disqus.
- Edit the Xiao Blog post view template Disqus markup to replace the dummy shortname with your website's shortname. See the code excerpt below.